What Do You Do When Your Dog Throws Up

In most cases, occasional dog vomiting is pretty common.  My dog vomits from time to time with no real apparent cause.  My cats (when they were alive) did the same thing.  It does become a cause for concern however if it happens more than once in a day or more than once a week.  When I say “occasional” I mean that my dog has vomited a handful of times during his 2-1/2 years of life.

The reasons for a dog to vomit can vary.  Your dog may have overindulged in treats or may have eaten something outside that upset his stomach.  It definitely becomes a concern if you suspect that your dog has ingested something that is poisonous or a small object that has gotten lodged in his intestines.  In this case, you will definitely want to go straight to the vet. Otherwise, if your dog is behaving normally, then it’s time to do some investigating. 

What Do You Do When Your Dog Throws Up

Your dog’s food could very well be the cause.  So, if you’ve recently changed the brand that you’re using, it could be that he is sensitive to one or more of the ingredients.  Try feeding him a lamb and rice dog food because it’s much gentler on sensitive tummies and reduces the chance that your dog will have an allergic reaction.

Treats?

If his food doesn’t seem to be the culprit, then consider whether the treats you are giving him are causing the vomiting.  Many supermarket brand dog treats are full of filler ingredients so that again, something in the treats could be causing the vomiting.  Select a high-quality treat from the pet store that contains little or no filler ingredients.

No People Food!

Also, avoid feeding your dog people food at all costs.  I know first hand how hard it is to say “no” to your dog when he’s looking at you with those big pleading eyes but you must for his sake.  You must especially watch that your dog doesn’t get into any chocolate, grapes or raisins as these things can poison your dog and can sometimes cause death.  If you suspect that your dog has eaten any of these foods, get him to the vet right away.

As long as you’ve determined that your pet has not gotten into anything seriously harmful, then you can treat the vomiting simply by giving him some Pepto Bismol.  I give my pets one teaspoon per 20 pounds of weight every 4-6 hours for 24 hours, or until symptoms begin to resolve.

If you take advantage of an offer on our site, Pet-bandanas.com may earn a small commission on purchases made through those links - at no additional cost to you. Full Affiliate information can be found here.

You may also view our Privacy Policy at any time

Let me know what your thoughts are!

      Leave a reply

      Pet Bandanas