Puppy Proofing Apartment

Pet-Bandanas is a reader supported site. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Product prices are the same whether you buy through our links or not. Thank you for being a part of our community. Learn More

Puppy Proofing Apartment

When you have pets in the home, it’s important to provide a safe environment for them. Wouldn’t it be nice if every new puppy came with a quick start puppy guide?  Pet wellness and safety isn’t usually the first thing on pet owners’ minds, however; most people tend to make sure the wellness of the people in the human is taken care of but then neglect their pets in one way or another, usually without even realizing the deficiency.

It is natural for a teething puppy to want to chew things. It is up to you to remove things from his reach when you are away and can’t correct him. When this isn’t possible, you want to provide things that both appeal to your dog and that are okay for the dog to chew on. Establishing acceptable chews toys is also about keeping those things you do not want your dog to chew up behind closed doors or well out of reach.


Pet proofing your home doesn’t have to be a huge chore and can be done in just a small amount of time. The first step is learning what dangers are present and then removing them. There are some dangers to pets that you probably have never considered. For example, even some household plants can harm animals if eaten, such as dieffenbachia, hyacinth, mistletoe, and philodendron. If you have pets in your home, you should find out whether or not they can harm your household animals. This can be done quite easily by contacting your local Vet Clinic. They will be able to tell you whether or not a particular plant is harmful to your pets.

In the case that a plant is harmful to your pets, don’t worry that you’ll have to get rid of the plants; instead, simply place them somewhere that your animals can’t get to them. Place them on a high shelf or in a room where the animals don’t travel.

Pesticides Can Harm Household Animals

Pesticides and poisons in the home are another danger to household animals. If you use some type of poison, such as rat poison to get rid of rodents, be sure that your household animals don’t have access to them. If for some reason, your animals consume this poison, they could become very sick and even die.

Spray pesticides are also a danger to animals. Before spraying your home with pesticides or having an exterminator visit your home, be sure to call the  Vet Clinic and find out if the precautions you’re taking for rodents and other annoyances are safe for your pets.

Beware of Low Electrical Cords

Low hanging electrical cords or electrical cords that are plugged into an outline close to the ground and within reach of pets can be a major source of danger to household animals. As you probably know all too well, cats and dogs love to chew on objects, and they don’t put any thought into what they chew (or maybe they do chew our shoes on purpose!). If animals chew on electrical cords they could very easily be shocked. The amount of damage to the animal will depend on the amount of voltage transferred to the animal. The shock may truly just be a shock and scare the animal enough not to do it again (and then again, it may never learn), or the shock may kill the animal. If you have low hanging electrical cords or electrical cords that are plugged into outlets that are close to the ground, call the veterinarian clinic to find out just how much danger your household pets are in.

Medications for People are Not Safe for Pets

This is actually a very common pet safety issue in pet owners’ homes. Medication that is intended for human use is often left in open areas with full access by household animals. You wouldn’t consume the medicine prescribed by the Vet Clinic, and your pet shouldn’t consume medicine prescribed by your doctor for you. These drugs are not compatible with different species, so be sure your animals don’t have access to your medicine.

Pet Medicines Should be Put Away

On a similar note, animals also should not have access to their own medicine because they won’t measure their correct dosage if they gnaw open the medicine container. You cat or dog will simply eat all of the medicine until it is gone or until they feel sick and possibly even begin vomiting.

Consequences of pets consuming medicine that isn’t intended for them or in large quantities include vomiting, diarrhea, and death, so be sure to keep medicine out of reach of your pets for a pet-safe home.